Teaching mosaic art is fun!
Below is a list, in no particular order, of why I love to teach mosaic art.
- Sharing my passion with others.
- The fascination of watching students evolve.
- Teaching groups, especially groups of friends and/or families. The energy they bring is often filled with laughter and love, and sometimes a healthy dose of snark.
- Discovering a student’s process, especially when they are new to the art, is interesting and often educational for me.
- The joy of helping students fine-tune their work.
- Bringing strangers together to create art and share themselves with others.
- Witnessing the proud faces of my students as they show off their work.
This is a question that is asked frequently. The simple answer is, a mosaic art jewelry class is comprised of cutting, breaking, shaping, creating, and setting. And no, you don’t need to be an “artist” to participate. Seriously though, what makes an artist an artist? That’s a question for a future blog post. I consider every person who comes to one of my classes to be an artist in their own right.
As for the class, it’s helpful if you have a steady hand, decent eyesight or good glasses, and the ability to stay focused. That said, I’ve had students who said that they suffer from ADHD, but they have been able to successfully participate in classes. A typical mosaic art jewelry class starts off with introductions and then an hour or so of instruction, definition of mosaic terms, demos, and examples of different types of mosaic jewelry that one can create. After the instruction portion of the class, students are set loose on the materials! I typically have a multitude of materials that students can choose from. Students have likened it to being in a candy store. Check out the student work below.
TRY OUT AN ART CLASS!
Art classes are a great way to learn something new. Check out the Artistic Portland class page for current class offerings which include Crayon Meditation taught by Ben Gilbert of Crayons and Cardboard, Product Photography, and Paper Art Collage Workshop, both taught by Michaela Houston of Meine Werkstatt! I will be teaching a mosaic art jewelry class soon so check back often for new class listings at Artistic Portland!